Thursday, May 16, 2013

Blessings from the Father

The gift of words, and the fear of Revelations

 
I have been asked twice, in as many days, why I haven't updated my blog lately. Both times I have answered honestly in that I just haven't felt like it. But as I thought about it, and have prayed about it, I realized I was going by my emotions, and not by God's leading. So this morning as I prayed and read my Bible God gave me a verse to share with a friend, and some insight to share on my blog. And since I am studying to be more open to the suggestions of the Holy Spirit in my life I thought I better follow through with this.
Sometimes when reading the Bible God makes it clear to me that a verse I just read is for someone. Either I need to pray that verse for them, share it with them, or write it down and memorize it on behalf of them so that when I think of them I think of that verse. Whatever the reason, I try to be attentive to the verses God connects in my mind with someone.
Just yesterday a friend of mine asked me to pray for someone dear to them. I used to say OK to such a request, would pray one or maybe two times for that person, and then forget all about the request. But GOD, He has changed that poor habit in me. Now I find HE keeps them in my thoughts and prayers until He decides differently.
This morning as I studied for today, and for this Sunday's lesson with our youth God lead me to a verse for this dear person I am praying for. I knew, within my spirit, that I needed to share that verse with this person, and I did. And the response back was that God's words came just when they were needed and were a blessing. Hmm, imagine that! Now, I am not patting myself on the back for being obedient, because I did not make that person feel better, God did. I was just the messenger. But you know what, I was blessed by being the messenger. In turn I got to be a witness to one of God's miracles. And yes, I believe seeing God touch someone else's life is a miracle.
Now, believe it or not, that little story is not what God gave me, initially, to share on my blog. However He did allow me to use it as an introduction and segue to what he does want me to share. (It is a this point that in a movie you would have that build up of anticipatory music. the DUNT- DUNT-DUH!) 
The book of Revelations is my least favorite book of the Bible. It makes me uncomfortable. Like scary movie uncomfortable. I confess to having never read the entire book at one time, or in order. It just, it gives me the willies.
So when my studying this morning took me to Revelations I really was not pleased. I mean, I love to dig into Psalms, or the letters from Paul. But Revelations is just, ugh.
So my study took me to Revelations 12:17. As soon as I started reading it I realized I would have to go back a few verses in order to understand the context of the verse. Sometimes a spoonful just isn't enough to identify all of the flavors in the food, you know?
So I backed up to the start of chapter 12 which is entitled in the NIV as "the Woman and the Dragon". Now if I didn't know I was reading in the Bible I would think this was going to be one of those great stories or fables where a woman tricks a dragon so she doesn't get eaten. Guess what, kinda-sorta it is. Only this is the Bible, God's word, so it isn't a fable.
To GROSSLY paraphrase, there is a woman about to give birth and this seven headed red dragon appears and is just waiting for her to give birth so that it can eat the baby. Yes, not a pleasant thought I know. So the woman gives birth to a son (Jesus) and he is snatched up to heaven to God before the dragon can get his hands on him. The woman flees to the dessert to a place prepared for her by God, and then a war starts in heaven. Verse 7 says "And there was a war in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back."
It goes on to explain that the dragon is the devil and he and his angels are thrown down from heaven to the earth. I, the person who doesn't feel comfortable in reading Revelations, recommend you read chapter 12 for yourself. But the point, the thing I am getting at, is verse 17. "Then the dragon was enraged at the woman and went off to make war against the rest of her offspring-those who obey God's commandments and hold to the testimony of Jesus." SO, we who believe in Jesus are under attack, ALL THE TIME!!!
I have heard that as Christians we are at war, and at times have felt under attack, but until reading these verses, I do not think it was ever as clear to me as it is right now. The moment I gave my life to Christ, back at Easter in 1982, I became a warrior for Christ who is under attack by the devil and his minions. My six year old daughter who became a Christian earlier this year is a warrior and is under attack every second of every day now because she is a believer in Jesus Christ. WHOA! It blows my mind that my baby girl is a warrior. I can see my teenage son and daughter as warriors, but not my baby girl.
So, what am I doing to train her, to train them? How am I training myself? Am I encouraging my fellow believers? Am I strong, like iron, to help them grow stronger like iron? (Proverbs 27:17)
This glaring reminder of my duties as a Christian reminded me that blessings do not always look like blessings. They are not always answered prayers of health, wealth, or happiness. Sometimes it is the prayer to make it through the day by the desperate that is a blessing. Sometimes, when I cry out to my God in pain, it is because I have allowed my faith to weaken and am under attack. When one of my kids has a bad day, did they put on their armor, are they wielding their sword (Bible) on a daily basis? Am I encouraging them to practice with their sword, to strengthen themselves?
 
Revelations is still scary to me, and still makes me uncomfortable. But maybe that is right where God wants me, uncomfortable with what I am reading in his sword. Maybe he is ready to increase the weight of my sword (my understanding of the Bible) and I need to deal with having to learn to lift it.
So I am going to continue to study Revelations as God leads me. And I will continue to write this blog as God leads me. It may not be fun to read, or fun to write sometimes, but I will be as honest and transparent as I can because that is what God is calling me to do. Your prayers are very much appreciated.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment