Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Softball = Memories of my Dad

Answering My Mother's Question

 
My mother left me a voicemail today regarding my comment about watching softball in one of my previous posts. I enjoy watching softball because it will forever reminds me of being 6, 7, and 8 years old and watching my Daddy play softball. My Daddy was the pitcher. He played on all male teams that travelled to different areas for all day tournaments and I was THE cheerleader in the stands. It was usually cold because it was spring or fall in Texas. And since I was the baby, the little girl, and more to the point "Daddy's Girl" I sat in the stands and cheered. Every now and then I would get down from the stands and play with all the other little kids (usually boys) and my big brother. But mostly I just watched my dad.
 
He's tall, over 6 feet, and has always been pretty fit between playing softball, and golf, and having an active job. I won't say the cliched "My dad was my hero" because that is not true. However, my Daddy has always been a pretty special guy to me, as he should be. I won't pretend he and I didn't have our battles and differences, but he's my dad and I love him.
 
The timing of my mom's question is definitely a God thing. You see, Melody had to write a poem in her Reading class yesterday about a memory of her dad. Which got me to thinking about the poem I wrote to my dad when he was going through some hard times. So when I heard my mother's question in her voicemail today, I wasn't surprised.
 
Don't get me wrong, I still have my dad. He is alive and well in Texas living with his wife and a pack of weenie dogs. He is retired after working for the VA Hospital for 32 years and is an active member of a golf country club. I haven't seen him for over a year now, but in a few weeks I get to see him and the rest of my family when the girls and I go out to Texas for spring break. I am truly feeling blessed at even the prospect of seeing them all again.
 
I hear from people all the time, in our small rural county, how they cannot imagine living this far away from all of their family and not seeing them for all of the everyday life things that people do. We (my husband and I) do not have any family close by. My husband's half brother lives much further south in Florida, but he is the only one in the state. All of his family is out of state, PA, SC, OH. All of my family is in Texas with the exception of my son in GA.
 
Yes, family is important to us, but so is being faithful. See, God tells us to cleave to our spouse once we get married, and moving off and away from family can certainly help to ensure that you cleave. Boy Howdy! You either cleave or want to leave and leaving was not and is not an option for us.
 
Thankfully, God has blessed my husband with a good job, and he is able to provide for our family. In this case, he is able to provide me and the girls the opportunity to drive out to Texas and see my family. So, very soon, I get to add to my memories of nephews, siblings, and parents. More Daddy memories, Yeah!
 


1 comment: